The Chinese market
From sales strategies to SEO strategies
Entering this market is not easy, from three different points of view:
The company will have to develop appropriate marketing strategies for the Chinese market
The company will have build the site and develop SEO strategies based on clearly different variables than those to which we are accustomed with Western search engines
Overcoming the language barrier, which will be present at all stages, from design to sales management
In this article we will focus solely on the second point, and we will generally refer to the Baidu search engine, which dominates the Chinese scene with over 70% of market share, followed by Qihoo 360, (13%, up) and Sogou + soso (8.2%). Google is no longer present, since in 2010 he abandoned the Asian market.
Search Engine Ranking:
Baidu SEO factors
Baidu SEO factors 2017
The variables that define the rankings on Baidu are very different than Google and Bing, which sets the standards in the Western world (we will talk soon about Yandex, used mainly in Russia).
As in the previous article about search factors on Google, our intent is to make available our knowledge and the results of our tests in order to create a dynamic information manual, continuously updated.
For better readability, we have divided the ranking factors into six sections:
SEO factors: domain level
SEO factors at page level
- • Length: In simplified Chinese each character is equivalent to two letters, wich means that the limits defined for the title tag are lower than Google, namely 35 instead of 70
- • Sparator character: Baidu uses the underscore (_) to separate words in the title tag. The same character whose use is not recommended by other search engines, in particular for the image file names. The use of the hyphen is acceptable.
Keyword in the title tag
- • Home page: website name_service/product
- • Category page: category_website name
- • Article: article title_category_website name
- • Monitoring loading speed
- • Host your site within China’s borders (see point 15)
- • Images and tags should be relevant
- • Insert the main keyword/keywords in the file name, as well as in the alt text
- • Descriptive alt text are preferred
- • Exaggerate with the inclusion of keywords is not appropriate
SEO factor on site level
Uniqueness of content
Content update frequency
SEO factors: backlinks
Backlink anchor text
SEO factors at the user interactions level